Friday, May 1, 2015

Eastern Market, Detroit-A Sweet Surprise from This Town

   

Our family took us to the Eastern Market- I figured, great one of my favorite places to go-a farmer's market.  Little did I know that they were taking me to the largest historic market in the country, It covers 4.5 acres, has about 250 vendors and Saturday attendance averages 45,000 people !


I didn't know where to look first.  Table after table of fresh produce; row after row of beautiful flowers; and don't get me started on the baked goods-huge delicious cinnamon rolls, chocolate croissants, and apple walnut coffee cake just to name (and taste) a few.


The fiddle head ferns were beautiful and the rhubarb was amazing. But the most fun to be had was people watching. I didn't hesitate in approaching people and asking if I could take their picture or photos of their children. They grinned and nodded approvingly.




We introduced our family to beignets and now have created beignet addicts !




These women were so cheerful and so beautiful I couldn't resist the photo opportunity.

Hmm,shades of James Taylor ?









Time flew by so quickly and we walked miles and didn't even realize it. (That helped work off the beignets). We spent a little over 4 hours shopping the market and could have spent longer but our arms were filled with our market treasures.  You must stop here when in the Detroit area-it is one of the most awesome markets I've seen.So many nice people too.  The Saturday market runs all year long from 6am to 4pm. They also have a scaled down version on Tuesdays during the summer along with a Holiday market.  Jim and I plan on returning this Saturday with our shopping list for the "road"! Another surprise from Detroit that I never expected.


Happy Trails to all my Farmer's Market friends and safe travels.

PS. Start your shopping with breakfast at the Farmers Market Cafe !  Great breakfast choices-the  breakfast sausage is incredibly delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment